- 1 1/2 cups dried white beans
- 8 1/2cups water, chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1medium yellow onion, cut in ¼” slices
- 2cooking chorizos, cut into pieces
- 1ham bone, or smoked ham hock
- 1/4lb of guanciale, smoked pork belly or pancetta, cubed
- 2tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2fresh bay leaves
- 1tsp fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1generous lb waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1generous lb turnip tops, alternatively kale, Swiss chard or savoy cabbage, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Olla de Hierra (Traditional Stew Pot) or 2-quart heavy bottom pot
Cover the beans in 3 inches of cold water and allow to soften in the refrigerator overnight.
Next day, drain the beans. In an olla de hierra or 2-quart heavy bottom pot add the olive oil, onions and chorizo; cook over medium heat until onions soften and chorizo starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, ham bone, guanciale and the liquid. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, bay leaves and thyme and simmer on moderately low heat, covered, for about 1 hour, or until the beans are just tender.
Remove the ham bone and add the potatoes and vegetables. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Serve the soup in earthenware bowls with crusty bread and a bright, citrusy Albariño wine.
Calories 1634; Total Fat 88.2 gr (113%); Saturated Fat 33 gr (165%); Cholesterol 358 mg (119%); Sodium 2001 mg (87%); Total Carbohydrates 66.2 gr (24%); Fiber 12.2 gr (44%); Sugars 2 gr; Protein 130.9 gr; Vitamin D 0%; Calcium 25%; Iron 104%; Potassium 37%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.